Friday, October 12, 2012

Architecture on a rainy day

Hi and welcome to my new blog! I have to say that starting a new blog is both exciting and daunting. I had a few blogs in the past (including a LiveJournal... good old days! I actually really enjoyed writing in my LiveJournal, it was quite cathartic). I also had a blog as part of my Bachelor studies in Scotland (which was also pretty fun! I'll always associate this blog with my favourite professor ever :). Last year, I tried blogging again, but it felt a wee bit forced. Now I feel ready though! And I'm super excited (ugh, time to get a Thesaurus... did I mention that I feel like my English skills have been a bit lacklustre lately? Hopefully blogging will help me out in that department. Oh and did I also mention that once I start talking/writing, it's not that easy for me to stop? *blogging fail*).  Anyhoos...

To start off, I'd like to share some pics of an architecture exhibition I visited today...


Yup, today I went to the Jaroslav Fragner Gallery here in Prague. The focus of this relatively compact gallery  is architecture which makes it perfect for an architecture nut like me. Actually, I haven't really 'been into' architecture for that long... my obsession started about 2 years ago, after I had visited a Jan Kaplický exhibition. And ever since then, I've been hooked! And even though I'm still a complete newbie when it comes to architectural theory, I wrote my Master's thesis on Nordic museum architecture.

But back to today's gallery visit. The current exhibition is called 'Blow Up - Some Projects by Bevk Perović Architects'. The 'blow up' part of the exhibition is not just a funky/wannabe-artsy term: it actually refers to the 'blown up' circular photographs which showcase some of the projects done by the Slovenian architects.




As you can see, each 'blow up' was accompanied by a tablet which included more images/plans/info on each project.

I really liked the simplicity of the exhibition. The projects were also super interesting (plus I got a 'Nordic' vibe from most of them - brownie points!!). After leaving the exhibition, I seriously felt like I'd love to live in a Bevk Perović apartment building. But maybe that was just my subconsciousness telling me it's time to find my own place.. :)

All in all, I had a really relaxing/educational day. There's so many interesting exhibitions I'd love to visit this month: this one is next on my list. The cultural abundance coupled with the awesomeness of autumn (I love love love autumn!) will surely make for a pretty cool October. Can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. Crap I think my comment got eaten by the internets! I'll try again.

    New blog is great, your english is *superb*, and the photos are excellent. Win, win win! Haha.

    I agree that Jan Kaplicky exhibit was so inspirational, right? Makes you feel like almost anything is possible (architecturally) after seeing that.

    This exhibit looks cool - I like the use of tablets for more juicy infos. Post if you go to the Rudolfinum!

    p.s. cool boots :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you THANK YOU for the super nice comment :)

      Yup, I really *love* Jan Kaplicky. I bought so much Jan Kaplicky stuff after seeing that exhibition (books, documentary about his life & even a poster!).. oops! Did you see the documentary by any chance?

      Thanks again!! :) xxxxx

      Delete
    2. Nooooo problem! :)

      I've never seen the Kaplicky documentary o_o I have to check this out! Time for the ol' google search! heh heh hehhhhh.

      I'm in love with his design for the defunct new library. Oh, what could have been ...

      <3

      Delete
  2. Great survey, I'm sure you're getting a great response. Arquiteto Campos do Jordão

    ReplyDelete